Travel FAQs

How much snow does Edmonton get in March?

Edmonton averages about 26 centimetres of snowfall in March.

What kinds of clothes should I bring?

It is recommended that you bring warm boots with rubber soles, a warm winter coat, hat, scarf and gloves to Edmonton. You can also purchase these items in Edmonton. Aside from the clothes mentioned above, you will want to bring indoor shoes as well as a sweater or shawl for evening. Layers of clothing are highly recommended as you move from outside to inside.

What kind of money does Canada use?

Canada uses the Canadian dollar.
Denominations of currency are in $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 coins/bills.

Where can I exchange my money?

Banks and currency exchange offices are available throughout Edmonton. For daily currency exchange rates visit

Where can I exchange my money?

Major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) are accepted across Canada. Debit cards with the Cirrus or PLUS symbol are accepted everywhere.

What are some of the expected costs once I arrive in Edmonton? (Accomodation, Transport, Meals, Insurance)

There is no cost to register for the conference. Some of the costs around travel and stay are provided below. (All amounts shown in Canadian dollars)

Reduced rates for accommodation have been established with 5 hotels within an 8 block radius of the Shaw Conference Centre. These rates are secured by identifying yourself as being A “Cities IPCC: A Cities & Climate Change Conference” delegate when you book at any of the following hotels. Links for booking online will be provided once you register following receipt of your invitation:

• Fairmont Hotel Macdonald (From $219)

• Sutton Place (From $149)

• Courtyard by Marriott – Room Block Full
• Delta Edmonton Centre Suites – Room Block Full
• Westin – Room Block Full

The City of Edmonton is providing complimentary conference shuttle service to and from the Edmonton Airport and the 5 selected conference host hotels on March 4 and 5, 2018 (Arrival) and March 7 and 8, 2018 return.

Upon arrival to the Edmonton International Airport, please visit one of our conference welcome booths or head directly to the shuttle pickup on the Arrivals level of the Airport.

*Volunteer Desks: By Arrival Entrances D & E, only operating from 8AM to 8PM.

*Shuttle Waiting Zone Inside: Between external Doors 9 & 10 on the Arrivals Level

*Shuttle Pick-Up Area: External Door #10 on the Arrivals Level

It is anticipated that these conference shuttles will be operating on the frequency of approximately every 25 minutes, from the first flight arrival of the day, to the final flight departure of the day.

If you arrive or depart outside of these days, book your stay at a hotel not listed above or choose not to use the shuttle service, taxi fare is estimated to be $60 each way.

The City of Edmonton’s Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) operates a bus service from the airport that you may also choose to use outside of the dates listed above. Fares to and from the airport will be $10.00 (each way). Information on the airport operated regular shuttle service can be found here

The identified hotels are all within walking distance of the conference venue. If you choose to stay in a hotel not close to downtown, you may have transportation costs.

Once you have received your conference delegate package upon registration at the conference center, travel on Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) for free with your CitiesIPCC Delegate Badge! You must show your Conference Delegate Badge to the bus operator prior to boarding and/or submit to a Peace Officer if requested. Dates of travel using your Delegate Badge are valid from Sunday, March 4 to Thursday, March 8, 2018 only.
*Please note, that the bus service to/from the Edmonton International Airport (Route 747) is excluded; please use the conference airport shuttle (schedule noted above) to travel to/from the airport.

More information on the Edmonton Transit System can be found here

The conference includes light breakfast and lunch on March 5,6,7. There is an evening reception with food on Tuesday night. You will need to cover your own meals outside of this. A meal can range from $15 up, depending on what you order.

Medical insurance:
You can purchase your travel / medical insurance through your flight provider. You can also look at separate providers. Your cost will depend on age, pre-existing health conditions, and how long you’re planning to stay.

How cold is it in Edmonton in March?

Temperatures in Edmonton range from a daytime high of 0 celsius to -7 celsius at night, on average.

What language do most people speak in Edmonton?

The majority of Edmonton residents speak English; however, you will also find residents who speak French, Tagalog, Cantonese, Punjabi, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Ukrainian and German.

Indigenous residents of Edmonton may speak dialects of Algonquian, Athabascan, Dene and Siouan.

What number do I dial in an emergency?

For all emergencies dial 911.

What hospitals are in Edmonton? What kinds of services do they provide?

• University of Alberta Hospital*
• Grey Nuns Community Hospital
• Misericordia Community Hospital
• Royal Alexandra Hospital*
• Stollery Children’s Hospital*

* Trauma Centre

For non-emergency medical attention, visit a local Medicentre.

Visitors to Canada are encouraged to have travel health insurance.